Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Size 6: The Western Women's Harem by Fatema Mernisi

Fatema  Mernisi is morocco feminist. This story is about Mernisi going to a department store and the department store lady told her that she only had size 6. She became very angry and did not understand why they only carried to size six. At the start of reading this I could tell its going to be about a women’s life. I was not very excited but after reading this it has been good. I could see why she was so worked up about how western women are so small. Most morocco women have to hide their face and the have to live in harem. A harem is a forbidden for men to go there. Women in western countries have to care more about their bodies then Muslims. American Women are sometimes the most scrutinized because of Hollywood and all the actors being so skinny. That pressures women to lose weight and look good. You could tell Fatema wrote this in a very feminist way. In the end I did like the story even though it was about boring stuff I don’t care about. It had a good story line and was very interesting to read. Women should not be criticized for what they look like. 

1 comment:

  1. I do agree that the story was good and that I can also see where Fatema was coming from. I also saw that she was feminist in her writing by blaming men for woman’s standards and I can completely see why see would be feminist, because where she comes from men rule over the women. in America women are equal and hold just as much responsibility over standards as men do. In the end i did enjoy the read and hearing outsider’s perspective of the culture of today.
    -Kenny mcknight

    ReplyDelete