Monday, October 3, 2011

"Serving in Florida" from Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich

This story by Barbara Ehrenreich is a story about the lives of people who work in restaurants. It’s about how hard it is to live off a 6-10 per hour wage. This life seems to be very hard they all have issues with the places they live. Barbara Ehrenreich has a PhD from Rockefeller University. She is known for being a very outspoken woman. Barbara went to work at a restaurant as an experiment to see how the life of people in poverty really was like. She found out that the managers got everything and the workers got nothing. The management had the power to make you do anything that they didn’t want to do. For example, Barbara’s manager made her vacuum the whole restaurant with a broken vacuum. Waiter’s always seem to be happy and full of joy when they take our orders but sometimes I wonder what’s really going on in their lives. What’s making them work at a restaurant why can’t they go get another job? We will never know why people do what they do. In the end, I did like this passage it showed me that I should cherish what I have now. It showed me that I don’t want to work at restaurant and make very low money. 

No comments:

Post a Comment