Sunday, September 25, 2011

A Man Who Was Mean to His Dog by: Anne Lamott

I like this story by Anne Lamott even though it is about a man who hurt his dog really bad in front a whole bunch of people. I liked the way that Anne Lamott wrote, she really drew me in. the man who hurt his dog needs to go to jail, that is such an immoral thing to do to an animal. In the story, Sam’s mother learned something from what she witnessed. For a moment, she felt extremely vulnerable and she did not want her son, Sam, to see her in that state. She wanted him to see her as a strong woman and she felt terrible for not speaking up when she had the chance. She had an epiphany in the middle of all of what was going on. She realized that everyone is loved for who they are even though that may not be fair sometimes. When I see that dog getting hit, I imagined my own dog getting hit and that hurt. I would never let anyone touch an animal like that if I had control over it. That is unbelievable. That dog did nothing to deserve that. Anne Lamott is a great author and I really liked her writing style. 

2 comments:

  1. Stefan, I completely agree with all you have to say about this story by Anne Lamott. It was a really touching story because of that poor dog and because of the woman experiencing what she did. I wonder what the child thought when he saw the man strike his dog violently. This little boy will remember it for the rest of his life. He will also remember seeing his mom try and be strong when she was obviously terrified of the man. Sam’s mom got something from this experience after all was said and done. She realized that she cannot feel vulnerable but she must stick up for herself as to show her son that she was a strong woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you 100%! Reading a story about an animal, let alone a dog being hurt by someone is horrible to imagine. I have three dogs at home and I love them all like family. I couldn't imagine someone causing extreme pain to my dogs, or any dog at that. Dogs are such loyal companions that love you unconditionally. I do not know how a person can hurt such a great creature. As I was reading, all I could think to myself was "lock him up" and hoping to see that happen in the story kept me reading. Knowing that he got away though was kind of a bad ending to me, but I'm sure he'll get what put away one day.

    ReplyDelete