Thursday, February 9, 2012

Fliers, think before turning on electronics

This was a very interesting article it made me think about flying and why we have to turn off our electronics. Whenever I would go flying I would always leave my phone on not expecting it could do any harm. There has been some instances where the pilots indicators were going crazy which took the plane off course, and once they asked the passengers to turn there electronics off and it stopped.  I completely understand now why they make us turn our electronics off now.  I find it interesting that not every seat affected the instruments only seats near an antenna outside the fuselage or an electronics hidden away inside the plane. They give lots of examples of electronics affecting the pilots gear which backs up the authors claim. Before reading this I didn’t think electronics really affect plain, but they do a lot more then I would expect. If every passenger just put their cell phones and ipads in Airplane Mode they would have no problems because when it is in airplane mode it shuts off the transmitting part of the phone or Ipad. When this is done it cannot affect the pilot’s instruments. In the end, This was a good article and it opened my eyes to the dangers of electronics and flight.  

1 comment:

  1. I found your post to be very similar to my own. I have also left my phone on during many flights and not thought twice about it. This reading opened my eyes to the dangers of leaving your electronics on during a flight. I think that if the electronics are really that dangerous, they should slip an extra safety packet in the seats with some information. Something as little as that could make a big difference. I also found it interesting that certain seats had more effect than others when the phones were left on. After reading this article I will no longer leave my electronics on during a flight.

    ReplyDelete