Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Against Headphones

This reading really opened my eyes to the dangers of headphones. I know I personally have hearing loss but I am not sure how it happened. I find it kind of interesting that the headphones were made just for listening to a Mormon sermon. It was made by Nathaniel Baldwin who used them to drown out the sound of a crowed. The ear buds were also used by artillery men to muffle the sound of the gun shots. That’s the main reason why I would use headphones is to drown out the outside sounds that interfere with your music. After reading this article I will defiantly not keep the headphones as loud as I normally does I don’t want more hearing loss then I already have. In the end, I liked this reading it gave me information that I would not thought to be true.  I am going to use headphones less and just let it play out loud it better than being blasted into your ears. I feel the author is using a claim of value because she is telling to do something in a different way. The author gives good evidence for the claim like studies related to headphones and the history of how they started.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I thought that I was the only one that noticed they were gradually losing their hearing. Just like the article said it was getting harder and harder at least for me to hear higher pitched noises. You can tell though the kids that are really going suffer, when you can hear their music playing from the opposite side of the bus. This article should be posted in more places so the word can get out about this unknown epidemic. Yeah it’s weird to think that the headphones were originally designed so that you could hear Mormon sermons more clearly.

    ReplyDelete