Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Religion in Harry Potter by Ari Armstrong

This reading by Ari Armstrong was kind of a waste of time. I have read all the books and seen all the movies and not once did I think that there was any kind of religious intent. I saw it as a fairy tale world where magic was real and Muggles exist. I find it kind of pathetic that religious figures like Pope would say that a novel could corrupt the Christian faith. The novel was made entertainment purposes only and wasn’t intended for people see it a religious book. The novels were intended to instill values of friendship and triumph over evil. Before reading this I never thought of Harry Potter to be seen as religious more like just a way for production companies to make money aka the movie sales.  There were some parts that could have been seen as religious but I don’t think Rowling expected it to be. In the end this article made me think about the subject and it was very interesting. I do not think J.K. Rowling’s novels promoted religion or undermined religion. These books are made up and should not be compared to the bible. This reading opened my eyes on how dumb some people could be.   

1 comment:

  1. Stefan, I totally agree with you. This reading is was not at all in any way interesting to me. I have never read nor seen any of the Harry Potter's. However, I have never heard of anyone talking about there being any religion aspects at all to it. Also, while reading this, I felt like some of these people were just kind of taking it a little too far and over exaggerating. I think it's just a story and people are trying to find different meanings to it. I too don't think Rowling promoted nor undermined religion and after reading this, I also found out that some people can really be so wrong and dumb about things.
    -Kaleigh Jones

    ReplyDelete